This past weekend, Matt and I were planning to head to DC for the weekend to stay with my sister while she was in town. The thought of a 4+ hour drive twice in a weekend was a bit too much for me, so we decided to stay behind. Time out of the city was still appealing, though, and we got that in some weekend bonding in Connecticut with one of my best friends. She is living in this great little bungalow-style house right on the water in CT where you can fall asleep listening to the water. A perfect little escape! We did some serious arts & crafts on Saturday, and Matt ended up with some red bangs through the adventure….
We also made a FODMAP-friendly pad thai that was absolutely incredible. You’ll notice the improvement over my normal cooking environment in the pictures :). Just a quick note on tofu, as I’ve been back and forth on keeping soy in my diet: I have landed on allowing certain soy products in limited quantities based on some research I’ve done. Here is a link to some information I’ve found useful.
FODMAP-friendly Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai
- 1 lb. Thai rice noodles
- 1 block extra firm organic tofu
- 1 lb. large shrimp
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ pint grape tomatoes
- ¾ red, green chili peppers
- 3 scallions, green part only
- Handful of bean sprouts
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 – 2 tbsp. basil
- 2.5 tbsp. peanut oil
- Corn starch as needed for tofu coating
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp. ground chili paste
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. grated ginger
- Begin by preparing the tofu. Remove from container and slice in half length-wise into 2 – 1 in. pieces. Wrap the tofu in paper towels to remove any excess water. Place in refrigerator until cooking.
- Slice red bell peppers into long, thin pieces, red and green chiles into tiny pieces and grape tomatoes in halves. Chop only the green part of the scallions into small pieces.
- Add all sauce ingredients listed above together in a small bowl and mix until completely combined. Increase seasonings as needed.
- Remove tofu from the refrigerator and cut into small squares (bite-size). Place in a bowl and lightly coat with corn starch. Add 1.5 tbsp. peanut oil to a frying pan and begin to heat. Add the tofu to the oil and cook until it is beginning to brown on the outsides. Remove from heat and place the tofu on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
- While cooking the tofu, boil water for the rice noodles and add the noodles as the water becomes ready.
- In a separate, larger frying pan, heat the remaining peanut oil. Add the peppers, chiles, tomatoes, snow peas, scallions and shrimp to the pan and begin to heat through. Add the sauce and continue to cook until the shrimp are almost ready.
- Add rice noodles, tofu, bean sprouts and basil to the frying pan and continue to cook until the flavors have fully combined.
Best if served in front of beautiful fireplace listening to the water outside 🙂 I’d love to hear your thoughts on the dish, so feel free to leave comments!